Friday, February 3, 2012

Trekking Along


When you wake up to a sunrise like that, you know it's going to be a beautiful day!

What I was not expecting was being busy for about 12 hours. On the plus side, my very long day started with a run. For me, I find that if I go running in the morning, I feel more energized and revved up to tackle my to-do list. It certainly helped today!

I had a 6M interval workout on the books, so I opted to hit the treadmill before my appointments on-campus. The gym's on-campus, they have showers, and interval workouts seem better on a treadmill (to me). Here's the interval workout:


Distance (miles)
Speed (MPH)/Pace (m:ss)
0.0-1.0
7.5/8:00
1.0-2.0
8.5/7:03
2.0-2.5
8.0/7:30
2.5-3.5
8.5/7:03
3.5-4.0
8.0/7:30
4.0-5.0
8.5/7:03
5.0-6.0
7.5/8:00

(Plus a 5 min cool down)

I felt good after it. I covered the distance in under 45 minutes. Overall, this is definitely slower than my 10K pace (to do the math, 10K = 6.2M), but this training plan (the Smart Coach one) starts off with slower paces and then you build up your speed in the following weeks. You'll be sure to see my reaction to this plan in the following weeks! Regardless, my piriformis and IT band are feeling better than they had been.

And a nice treat to finishing the workout was seeing this view! If you look on the left side, the mountain with the blunted top is Mt. St. Helens. Such things are only visible on clear days.


Yesterday, I did a strength workout for the first time since I started training for Eugene. My strength training involves a combination of core work (sit-ups, push-ups, planks), upper-body work (dumbbell rows, dumbbell shrugs, curls, dumbbell chest press), and lower-body work (dumbbell squats and dumbbell lunges). If I could remember what weight(s) I used, I would share that too.

Here's hoping I sleep well tonight!

PS You can now follow the blog via email! Look to the right on the home page.

No comments:

Post a Comment